FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:07 am
swei0009

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Originally Posted by NorcrossFlyer
......and/or the surrounding environs this June.

We're looking to do some hiking and exploring via rental car. Complications:

1. We're traveling with our 11 month old (Well, she'll be 11 months at the time of the trip)

2. I hate being surrounded by bus loads of tourists. Other than being run over by a glacier I can't think of anything that could ruin the trip as quickly as being caught in a tourist trap.

3. Gotta fly there from ATL via Delta

So what are your recommendations? The wife and I are seasoned travelers, but carting the little one along will be a new experience. (That we're not overly scared of)

What are your recommendations on Banff and Waterton in Canada? That Prince of Wales hotel looks stunning.

I know very little of this area so I'm open to just about any suggestion. Thanks!
Kallispell (FCA/GPI) is the closest airport. Missoula (MSO) is maybe 3 hours away, and a nice drive. (It's my home airport)

If you go to Glacier Park, you will be surrounded by tourists. The road is old, narrow, winding. It's not really a "car" park like Yellowstone is. You have to get out and really hit it hiking-wise. It's hard to find a parking place, LOL, and I'm not sure how hard a hike you want with the baby. There's not much to Kalispell and the town just outside the park is a total tourist trap.

Waterton is the Canadian portion of Glacier.

Banff is much nicer. Fly to Calgary. The transcan to Banff is wide and well maintained, Banff is stunning and way less crowded. We stayed at the Delta Royal Canadian Lodge and loved it. Small. Lovely. Walking distance to food and shops. Lake Louise is worth the drive.

EDIT to add: When are you going? LOL the roads in Glacier don't always open on time. In mid-June you'll be chasing snowplows. Also Going to the Sun Road is a M E S S. It needs a lot of work, which they are doing in bits and pieces. This does not help traffic.