FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Los Angeles based Flyer considering switching to AA, advice?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:45 am
doug93063
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
Los Angeles based Flyer considering switching to AA, advice?

I'm currently a DL platinum that flies in North and South America about 150-200,000 miles per year.

Because of the reduction of non stop flights originating in Los Angeles I am considering AA based on reputation and word of mouth because I have no experience with them.

How does the American Frequent Flyer program compare to Delta. One of the things I enjoy with Delta are the unlimited upgrades. I'm upgraded 90% of the time, which is pretty good when many of my flights are LAX-JFK-LAX. Admitidly I only buy coach fare when I'm pretty sure I will get an upgrade.

What are SWU and 500 Mile upgrades and how do you earn them?

Does AA offer gate upgrades without using SWU or 500 mile upgrades? If so is it similar to Delta that the list goes by status level, fare class, date of ticketing?

How are the planes and cabins? I've always really liked the Delta cabins with AVOD in first class and the coming roll out of internet access across their fleet. What I'm not looking forward to are equipment substitutions with former NW aircraft which are pale in comparison.

How is customer service? This is another area where Delta is doing a great job but I've heard American is great as well.

Route Network from LAX, connecting in DFW etc. How convienient is AA for a LAX flyer.

Finally does AA still offer challenges to EXP?

Sorry for so many questions.