FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 6 Hour Layover at JFK
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:25 am
Matt in Florida

Programs: DL, BA
6 Hour Layover at JFK

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and I have a question or two about JFK that I haven't been able to figure out through my research. I've never flown to/through JFK, so I'm hoping to tap some of the more experienced JFK flyers.

My wife and I are arriving at JFK at noon on Delta. We will be connecting to a British Airways flight departing at 6:20pm on a separate ticket. I think I understand the difference in terminals and transportation between them. However, I'm wondering a few things:
1) Do we have enough time to claim our luggage from Delta, re-check them with BA, and maybe make it into the city for an hour or so via Subway?
2) What time should we be at Terminal 7 for the 6:20pm international departure? We will have checked in online already, so all we'll need to do is check luggage.
3) If we don't have time to make into the city, will we have any trouble with re-checking our luggage immediately, or does the BA check-in only open a certain amount of time before flights. If we won't be able to immediately re-check and pass security, are there any places to eat (non fast food) outside of security in any terminal?
4) Finally, any suggestions on where to eat, either in the city or at JFK?

Thanks a lot!