FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "International" connection at BOM to AI's domestic service from non-AI airlines
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:53 am
snod08

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by global_b
Hi all,

I just realized that I forgot to post how this actually worked!

So, in the end it was NOT possible to have bags put directly on the AI flight to MAA. Bags were claimed in BOM and then you walk outside about 20 meters or so to another entrance. Go upstairs and check the bags back in. It seems that there was also no airside connection between the CO arrival gate and the AI departure gate (at least none that could be seen), so even if you have no bags to check, you'll still have to clear immigration/customs in BOM.

All in all, the experience was fairly painless. No bus/taxis from the int'l to domestic terminal, which is nice. However, because they came in on CO, they definitely couldn't just do a simple connection like you can when arriving on an AI flight from abroad.

For those that don't want to reclaim and recheck bags, you either need to transit overseas or fly on AI into and out of BOM.

B
Thank you so much for this feedback. I have the exact itinerary coming up EWR-BOM in CO, BOM-MAA in AI. And I had the same questions of checking luggage thro to MAA, clearing customs, etc. Now, I know the answers! an FT search came out useful here.