FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Name spelled wrong on int'l ticket
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:50 am
zipadee

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
In this case, I wouldn't fret too much. I know that doesn't do you a lot of good and you could try and push AA to fix it. If you have AC access, is this something they could help with?

For what it's worth, I have my first name, middle name, maiden name and married surname on my driver's license. My plane tickets are issued by first name and married surname and sometimes with middle initial. I've only had problems twice.

After Katrina, I once had a TSA agent in BTR try to bar me through security because they thought my driver's license showed my maiden surname last rather than my married surname. They couldn't read left to right, were trying to read right to left. It was quite bizarre, particularly since BOTH names were on my driver's license.

I thought I wasn't going to get out of Poland a couple of years back. I had my passport amended to show my married surname and the amendment was on the back page. The name on the picture page showed my maiden surname and the "amendment." So he looks at the ticket and the surname doesn't match the picture page on the passport. Apparently the Polish equivalent of TSA couldn't read English and understand "amendment" and he couldn't understand my English and I definitely didn't understand his Polish. After a bit of back and forth, I finally got the passport back, flipped to the last page and showed him and then went back to the front and pointed to "amendment" and then back to the last page. It finally dawned on him and I was good to go. But in both cases I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

So I guess it partly depends on where you are going in Asia as far as how much you should push on this issue. If you are going to Jamaica, for example, no worries mon. But if you are to Poland, then yeah I'd keep pushing. I think it will depend on the "hospitality" of the nations you are visiting and their reservations about Americans.