FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who would be the next Skyteam member?
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:17 pm
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Based on the Wikipedia citations:

In relation to 9W, it came from Leo Van Wyck of SkyTeam, cited in this article http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...n-skyteam.html.
The article is a ridiculous source to use as a cite claiming anything as likely, particularly when looking at 9W, MH and IT. Here's the actual excerpt from that post:
Van Wijk says that elsewhere in the Asia-Pacific, the group has been in informal discussions with China Eastern Airlines, which rival alliance oneworld is also courting, as well as Taiwan's China Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, and India's Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines. ...

Van Wijk says none have yet committed, however. He adds that India in particular is a market in which SkyTeam very much wants to have a member. Oneworld is also courting both Jet and Kingfisher in that market, while late last year Air India agreed to join the Star Alliance.
So there are possibly some discussions going on there. That is a MUCH different situation from likely members. The 9W and IT situations are far from a sure thing.

I haven't read the TN article (and I'm assuming no one else here has) so I cannot comment as the how reasonable the assertion is. I'm not going to pay for a subscription that has access to the article to read it.