FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Award" Fees Slogan and Design Contest for Protest Gear
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:47 am
OldRoyal

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Bitter? I think not...

Originally Posted by GrizShel

Don't know about you, but some enterprising person is going to make some real dollars off of me in this recession if they set up a business to sell shirts, buttons, and caps with a good protest slogan and design.
It's more fun to get even.

During the Save Skymiles days back in '03, our logo was a rat. We raised over $10,000 in contributions from FT members, wore our rat buttons on flights, drew funny pictures and slogans on the monthly CEO page of Sky Magazine, received significant press coverage (USA Today, the Atlanta JC, Cincinnati Enquirer, among others), came up with some great songs, slogans and acronyms, sent emails to each Delta board member and purchased the famous rolling billboard used as part of our protest at DL's annual meeting.

The effort was led by bdschobel (defected to United), mikey1003 (to NW -- how ironic), Cholula, ozstamps, Rssrsvp and supported by MANY on the DL board. Bruce Schobel collected the contributions and mailed out the rat buttons.

Just do a search on the DL forum for "Save Skymiles" and you will see LOTS of fine ideas. Best of all, our efforts succeeded, at least for a while: CEO Leo Mullin was gone by the end of the year (but not without his $16M buyout) along with several of his direct reports, and many of the most onerous "enhancements" to Skymiles were indeed retracted.

It could work again, people....

D -- driving
E -- every
L -- loyal
T -- traveller
A -- away

"I ruined Delta, and all I got was this lousy $16 million parachute"
-- Leo