FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2009 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:52 am
seoulmanjr

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by joelfreak
A private forum would never work due to the fact that EVENTUALLY all deal forums have this problem. Fatwallet started due to this problem on Anantech. Slickdeals started mostly due to this problem on Fatwallet. Eventually a 'brand' whether it be Fatwallet, Flyertalk or any other becomes to popular for its own support system. Having been on the net now for over 13 years I have seen it happen many times. Eventually a private deal forum would spawn another infighting battle which would spawn yet ANOTHER private forum. It's just a problem with human nature.
Right - I think you nailed the reality of the situation on the head. But rather than saying that it's futile, I think of it as being high time to set something new up and move along. FT is a great site, but not for MRers and mistake fare hunters anymore. I took a long work/family related sabbatical from posting on FT this past year and now I'm not on the secret grapevine anymore. Que sera, sera. I have resigned myself to just eating what I kill and being out of the loop. Anyone feeling charitable to a long time FTer, clue me in on the new forum when it's up or invite me to one of the many that exist out there.

peace,
~Ben~

Last edited by seoulmanjr; Jan 7, 2009 at 9:59 am