FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redemption Help: New to DC : o/w award flight HKG-BKK
Thread: Redemption Help: New to DC : o/w award flight HKG-BKK
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:53 am
FlyingOnceMore

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
Given that Business Class is only an extra 3,750 miles and £25 each on 'cash and miles', though, I'd go for that. On the 747's and probably 777's, Thai uses its long-haul planes to fill up time during the day so you would probably get a proper long-haul sloping-flat-bed seat. In F you'd presumably get the proper bed on the 747's. Given how few extra miles you need, why go Economy? Buy the extra miles you need if necessary.
The trouble with HKG-BKK on TG is that the aircraft operating the flight on any given day is totally unpredictable. What you think will be a refurbished 747/777 or a new A346 could end up as an old 747, A330 or even an A300 or 737. It's one of those routes with a high probablilty of being disappointed.

Unless I was flying that route as part of a longer award, therefore not caring too much about the short sector, for peace of mind and guaranteed cabin quality, I'd forego the award and fly business class on EK for £150.

Of course you could always extend a Z7-Z8 award to fly HKG-SIN-BKK for the same mileage and a bit more cash and have a stopover in SIN too.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Jan 7, 2009 at 10:10 am