FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luggage to South Africa
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:01 pm
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
We also booked a hire car through our hotel (The Westin) only to find the charmless guy at the desk had only reserved it and not booked it which meant it was not available for us to hire and being peak week there are no other cars available!

Also housekeeping here have on 2 days taken towels and not replaced them (ie no towels at all in the room) and the bed sheets were changed with big yellow stains on the pillows.... certainly not what you expect from a 5 stra hotel charging $600 AUD a night!
It seems the Westin has gone completely to the dogs. A fellow FTer was staying there the past few days and the litany of cock-ups was just staggering. Avoid if at all possible currently.

Originally Posted by tgsh2006
So can someone clarify; does Comair have J? I am booked CPT-JNB on 3 January and my ticket does indicate J (KLM codeshare),
They certainly do, But there have been reports of flights being made all Y. If I get a chance before I leave for Thailand tomorrow I'll phone and find out what's happening.

Originally Posted by honu
Very OT: We just spent the month of October in South Africa. It was our first trip to the country, and I can agree that service can be spotty at times (e.g., we were given a very bad car by Budget, which finally broke down, and the replacement took more than 5 hours to get to us - and we were less than 2 hours away from the nearest Budget rental location). However, we also received excellent service, and, overall, were extremely impressed by this fascinating, complex, very interesting country. So we hope to go back very soon. There are so many things that can interest a visitor, starting of course with some fantastic national parks (I could go back for another month and spend it all in Kruger!), the variety of cultures, landscapes, biodiversity, etc. And overall, excellent infrastructure that allows you to visit most of the country without too much difficulty (especially considering that this is Africa!). One of the best values for travelers willing to do a bit of exploring on their own, IMHO. Oh, we didn't have any luggage problem either at JNB (or CPT or DUR).
Thanks for providing more balanced perspective!