FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Attending my first EPL match. What do I need to know?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:35 am
COOLIO

I have only ever been to see one MLS game (Galaxy v someone) but catch hockey about 10 times a year. From my experience of such sports, N America is rather subdued when it comes to this kind of thing. There are certain teams known to be a bit hardcore and Fulham seems ok.

When I started reading your post I thought 'oh no' when you mentioned the neutral stand' so good choice to start with ^

Although the stand may be known for raucus behaviour, it is often usually just an area ime of football (or soccer if you so wish ) So if there's a patch where that stand corners the away supports, that will be the most vocal. I have had tickets in areas like that and very little game watching goes on, everyone stands the whole time (although it is seated), and is just abusing the away supporters the whole time. This was at Crystal Palace, a supposedly family club.

Anyway, buy a program on gameday. The roads around the ground will be closed before and after the game and you will be able to buy programs from sellers immediately around the stadium (about £2) Maybe get there a good 90mins before kickoff, and cram into a local pub. Choose the colours you wear carefully.

Expect to hear every swear word under the sun (including the c word). Although they are various things to keep racism out of football, expect to hear racist slurs. I hope it doesn't happen, but 80% of games I have been to, I have heard something or other. There are often chants that spill over between teams, you may hear a lot of 'the referees a w@nker' which is another word for someone who likes to touch themselves
But google.co.uk 'fulham chants' and some stuff comes up.

I hope for your sake the weather gets better, but it's stuck at freezing in London at the moment. So lots of layers, definately a coat, hat and scarf, and gloves.

Alcohol is no longer allowed in the stands (this will be a bit of a shock for someone coming from N American sports) but it is served in the stadium, just make sure you drink enough to keep you warm. You may, or may not be searched on the way in. This may include a patdown so any hipflask put in your pants (pants=boxers in the UK).

They may like you considering their American striker was a hero the other day against Chelsea.

Queues for the drinks at halftime will be massive and people may leave with a few mins to go to grab them. They should have bad burgers and fries (call them chips).

When you leave, prepare for a sea of people which you will get caught up in. Tube stations nearby may have filtering in slowly so it could take a while to get out of the area. You may be held somewhere first, in that you are stuck in a crowd of peopel and held until the tube clears a bit, then groups allowed down. Everyone will then crush onto the train, so be prepared for that and hold onto your wallet, or have your hand in your pockets protecting it. Expect a lot of police and police horses, but don't let that scare you. And you may see people arrested at the game, again, it happens at every game, about 15 people will get arrested for whatever reason usually followed by the opposition supporters waving and saying 'bye'.

Hope you enjoy