FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Istanbul and Amsterdam to End 2008 and Start 2009
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:56 pm
Flying Buccaneer

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
Hi FB,

I am really enjoying reading your detailed report as my partner and I are doing the exact same trip (only Istanbul, sadly no time for a stop elsewhere in Europe) in Sept '09. We live in Fort Lauderdale, and are flying via Montreal and Paris (AC to TK C class). Sounds like TK will be a pretty good experience.

We are staying in the W as well. While we have never been there, I for one am looking forward to a slightly out of the way hotel location away from the tourist areas. Keep the comments coming as they are most appreciated! My interest in visiting the city was really sparked after reading the novel The Historian which is partially set in Istanbul. The layers of history and unique combination of eastern and western cultures sounds fascinating.

BTW, congratulations on your marriage. We used to live in MA and were married there in '04. It was truly a heartfelt experience.
I enjoy flying TK. Even on the short domestic flights I took in June, the FAs served snacks!

You will love the W. The employees are very helpful and attentive. I am sitting in the lobby at a little before 4 a.m., and the bar just closed. Apparently, this is where all of the beautiful people in Istanbul come on Saturday night, and I have enjoyed watching them walk by. The rooms are what you would expect from a W, and I cannot say enough good things about the neighborhood. I would stay here again without hesitation.

And thank you! We had been together for nearly 6 years when we got married, but it was still special for us to be able to exchange vows (and have those vows recognized).