FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Istanbul and Amsterdam to End 2008 and Start 2009
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:32 am
Flying Buccaneer

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Wednesday, December 24

United Airlines 924
IAD-LHR
Scheduled Departure/Arrival 10:04 p.m./10:15 a.m.
Actual Departure/Arrival 10:05 p.m./10:00 a.m.
B-777
Seats 1E and 1F

We left the International First Lounge at 9:15 p.m. and made the long walk to gate C-27. By the time we got there, boarding had already started, so we didn’t have to wait.

Once aboard, we made the left turn to our seats and stowed our bags. Before we could take our seats, a FA was offering champagne, water, or juice. I had the champagne and Mr. FB took water. We settled in for the flight with our guidebooks in hand. When we boarded, we were the only pax in F, and it stayed that way for awhile. However, when the door closed, F was full.

Our plane pushed back about one minute late, and after a 20-minute taxi, we lifted off for London. Shortly after takeoff, the FAs were in the aisle taking dinner orders, and then coming around with warm nuts and drinks. Service was quick, efficient, and friendly.

Menu

appetizer
Cumin scented oxtail empanada with a red Fresno pepper-kumquat sweet relish

soup
Curry tomato lentil soup

salad
Fresh seasonal greens with plum tomatoes, cucumbers and seasoned croutons
Served with your choice of dressing: Ranch or Asian Sesame Ginger

main course
Orange and ginger cured duck confit
Roasted shallot vinaigrette, braised fennel and hazelnut jasmine rice

Cellophane noodles in hijiki broth
With broccoli raab, shiitake mushrooms and spicy cucumbers

Pan-seared filet mignon with bacon, crumbled blue cheese and green peppercorn sauce
Roasted fingerling potatoes and sautéed summer squash medley

Cheddar parmesan potato-crusted halibut with pomodoro sauce
Milanese saffron risotto and steamed asparagus

dessert
Ice cream with sundae toppings

Cheese selection served with red grapes and crackers
Manchego – rich, semi-hard Spanish cheese with full buttery but piquant flavor
Rosenborg Noble Blue – blue-veined cheese strong in aroma and flavor
Montrachet – soft, moist, creamy and slightly tangy goat’s milk cheese

I started with a glass of the Ra Nui Sauvignon Blanc 2007. After our last trip to New Zealand, I fell in love with their Sauvignon Blancs, and this one did not disappoint. I had all of the courses. I had planned to skip the appetizer, but the FA said he would bring it anyway. The empanada was good, but I really liked the kumquat relish. As soon as I finished the appetizer, a FA would clear my plate and the utensil I had used, and another would bring the next course.

I had the noodles, and Mr. FB had the duck. The noodles were simple and light, but they had a very nice flavor. They were complemented by a side of grated parmesan cheese, an interesting combination, but a good one. The cucumbers were more sweet than spicy. They reminded me of how my grandmother used to prepare fresh cucumbers – thinly sliced with vinegar and sugar.

After two scoops of ice cream, it was midnight EST. I set my watch to 5:00 a.m., put the seat into the bed mode, and put on the eyeshades and earplugs. I rested well, and awoke at 9:20 a.m., just as breakfast was being offered.

breakfast

Spinach, artichoke and cheese omelette
Sautéed turkey sausage

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with muesli

I really just wanted tea, but I took the fruit plate. I had a little bit of the fruit, the muesli with milk, and the croissant. And two cups of tea. Mr. FB slept through the breakfast service.

The landing and taxi were uneventful, and we arrived at the gate ahead of schedule. We said our thanks and Happy Christmases to our FAs. As we stepped off the plane, we were met by someone to help us with our transfer to Terminal 3. We have never enjoyed transiting though LHR, but this made it easy. About 20 minutes after we deplaned, we were going through security in T-3. International First is nice!

Of course, having over five hours to kill is not so nice. We did some shopping. Being re-routed through LHR had a couple of advantages: I was able to pick up a copy of Q magazine (the best music magazine in the world), and Mr. FB was able to get some Fruit All-Sorts (he lived in London for 5 years as a pre-teen) and John Barrowman’s new CD (he is a big fan of Torchwood).

We relaxed in the crowded hall for awhile. My spouse told me that he would go stir crazy in an airport lounge for 5 hours. After a few minutes in the din of the hall, I told him that I was going stir crazy sitting there! We decided to have a light snack and then head to a lounge.

A little after noon, we headed to the Singapore Silver Kris Lounge. The attendant welcomed us, and explained that because they had so few pax today they were just beginning service. I told her that we didn’t mind; we were just looking for a quiet place to sit.

We walked upstairs, and the lounge was dark, a little warm, and totally empty. Mr. FB pointed to the adjacent SAS Lounge and asked why we didn’t go there. I suggested we wait it out. We helped ourselves to bottled waters and commandeered a corner for ourselves. An hour later, we are still the only guests in the lounge, but the service has started with a choice of snacks and sandwiches. Warm foods are not out yet, but neither of us is hungry.

We still have a couple of hours before our gate opens. I think this is the best place to spend them before our four-hour flight to IST.