FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New TSA requirements for address and DOB
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:35 am
Global_Hi_Flyer

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Andy1369
I'm a bit lost. From what I read in the ruling, reservations made within the 72 hour range will simply be required to include the required information, but there's nothing that mention additional screening. Maybe I missed something, though - could you please give us the specific wording?

Thanks
The real issue is this:

*If* (as we know will happen) the data link to TSA goes down, the airline will be unable to issue a boarding pass because the government hasn't given you permission to travel. If they can do it at 72 hours, a brief outage won't be an issue - the permission would be batched and available. On the other hand, if it goes down for say an 8 hour period (see: Comair computer meltdown), and you want to book travel in that window, then you're hosed because they can't get government permission to let you travel.

Now, extend that to a day where there are heavy irops due to a storm or multiple canceled flights.... like this week. DHS computer goes down (not unheard of: CBP computers have been down multiple times at ports of entry). Airlines can't get government permission to let you travel, they are prohibited from issuing boarding passes. This causes even more massive delays.

Also note that the DHS rule requires separate permission for EVERY flight. Airlines can't rely on the permission to travel for the originating flight to issue a boarding pass for your connecting flight. Nor can it transfer your permission if you are rebooked on another airline - the other airline has to get separate permission for your specific flight.

Also, CAPPS will remain in place, so you'll have SSSS flags coming randomly from Secure Flight, PLUS flags from CAPPS, PLUS the stuff from your local screener. SSSS's will go UP.

And knowing the government, the system hasn't been tested for the number of processing transactions they have to do. Some of the AIRLINE systems can't handle it - and those are COMMERCIAL systems. Look at the track record of Government IT - the FBI system was over budget and failed, the FAA has been unable to improve the ATC system, the CBP systems are known to have gone down, etc. etc. This is a real CF in the making, and it may well choke the airline industry. Oh, and the system will have to be used for general aviation travel, too, adding a lot more transactions into the system.

Besides all this, there is the "government permission to travel" factor.

I see red tape, lots and lots of red tape. I see that this will eliminate same-day-changes, standby at the gate, and your ability to walk up to the gate and get on an earlier flight because the government can't issue your permission fast enough. Yes, it will affect us directly.