FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Dec 24, 2008, 3:55 am
rhwbullhead

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by photo_guy
Has anyone else run into stores or businesses that refuse to accept these coins? Most places seem to like, or at least accept, them but there have been exceptions.
I've only had this one bar refuse them. I paid the bar tab in bills and then left the tip in coins.

Part of the fun of dollar coins for me is the reactions I get. I almost always get some sort of reaction to the coins. Here are some exampls from the past week:

This waitress at the pizza place wanted to buy my coins from the register when she saw me paying as she said she wanted to put some in her son's stockings for Christmas.

This woman at K-mart kept looking at them funny and asked if it was real money. I proceeded to tell her about the presidential coin program.

What amuses me, even when there is no reaction is that they have to make speical room for the coins. As someone else said in this thread, the extra coin slot in the register is usually filled with coin rolls or paper clips. The clerk usually just dumps them in the slot. Sometimes, though, they move the coin rolls into the respective slots. What I like doing is paying with some half dollars so the coins are forced to be mixed. Yes, I'm easily amused.

It does amaze me how many people do think the coins are fake. My friend has had it happen to him so many times that when we were at the movie theater he was joking about it and the teenagers at the ticket booth got scared that the coins might be fake so they called the manager. I was annoyed but just went to the rest room while they waited. Upon my return, if the manager had still not arrived, I was ready to say, "You do realize that counterfeiting is a federal crime. I'm going to go the the theater and if these coins are fake, you can have the secret service waiting for me when the show's over." Unfortunately, they just had my ticket ready when I returned.

I'd like to close this is making a point about the "legal tender" point. I paid my cell phone bill with a bunch of dollar coins and this woman was annoyed and told me, "Well take them this time but next time we won't." I told her calmly, "You HAVE to take them according to the Coinage act of 1965 as this is a debt."

I was using these a lot to put them in circulation but I just use a few now and not large amounts. I realized that the coins just wind up at the reserve anyway but I still want my amusement when I pay cash so I just use a few of them.