FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:31 am
Anglo Large Clawed Otter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
As promised, albeit a bit late, I thought I would share some photos of the Hotel Des Indes. During my recent stay, I was initially given a Loft Junior Suite with an upstairs bedroom. Though very nice, I prefer the more spacious Corner Junior Suites (the one on the first floor even has a proper balcony). As usual, my stay at Des Indes was fantastic, and the staff were as pleasant and helpful as ever. The bright-yellow Des Indes is very easy to spot from a distance, and is only a short (5 min) walk from Den Haag Centraal:

Hotel Des Indes - Viewed from the Lange Voorhout

Entrance to Hotel Des Indes

Rear View of Hotel Des Indes from Denneweg Straat

Hotel Des Indes Lit up at Night

Behind the bright-yellow facade lies an even more eclectic interior. Created by French interior designer Jacques Garcia, I've termed the interior style "Fin de siècle Brothel Carnivale." It is definitely unique. However, somehow it all just seems to fit, and the hotel is definitely one of my favorite SPG properties.

Hotel Des Indes Entryway/Lobby

Staircase to First Floor

Ground Floor Lounge/Bar

Entrance to First Floor Rotunda

After check-in, one's room is easily accessed via Harvest-Gold Velvet, Leather, and Brass-Stud Clad Elevator. At time of check-in, the hotel only had a Loft Junior Suite available. I decided to check it out and take a few photos, then opted to wait until one of the more spacious Corner Junior Suites became available.

Loft Junior Suite Living Room

Loft Junior Suite Living Room

Loft Junior Suite Bathroom

Loft Junior Suite Monsoon Shower

Loft Junior Suite Staircase & Pineapple Chandelier

Loft Junior Suite Upstairs Bedroom

After storing my luggage downstairs with the Concierge, I wandered off to trek around Den Haag for a bit, until the Corner Junior Suite was ready. In my opinion, Den Haag is every bit as scenic as Amsterdam (if not moreso), with less crowds and a more laid-back pace of life. I highly recommend a trip to the Binnenhof and Hofvijer (close to the hotel), seat of the Dutch Parliament. Also, the M.C. Escher Museum is directly across the street from the hotel. In the summer, Scheveningen is only a short tram-ride from the city center, and has beautiful beaches, with many bars and restaurants to choose from. Den Haag also has several excellent Indonesian Restaurants, if you care for Indonesian Food.

After having wandered for a little over an hour, I returned to the hotel to find that the Corner Junior Suite had been cleaned and readied. With the possible exception (in summertime) of the top-floor executive rooms with huge balconies, the Corner Junior Suite is my favorite floor-plan in the entire hotel. I have had the good fortune to be upgraded to one of these rooms on nearly every stay I've had at Des Indes:

Corner Junior Suite Living Room

Corner Junior Suite Bed - Most Comfortable SPG Bed Around

View into Bathroom

Corner Junior Suite Bathroom

All in all, Hotel Des Indes is one of my absolute favorite SPG properties. Their Platinum treatment is consistently excellent, and Den Haag is a nice change of pace from the mayhem of Amsterdam. I make an effort to make at least one trip per year to Den Haag, and Hotel Des Indes is one of the primary reasons for that. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a trip to The Netherlands.