FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Venice-Mestre 3 star for 45 Euros thru March
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:58 am
bdemaria
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by USAFAN
... not worth it?

OK, Mestre is not the nicest village on earth, but this offer looks good to me:

-it's really a good price ... and I had never a bad hotel when following the reviews in Tripadvisor.
-I can park my car, which is a problem and expensive .. and in most of the parking garages you have to leave the key in the car.
Mestre is not a village - that term conjures up little villas and kindly Italian granpas playing bocce ball in the afternoon. Mestre is an industrial wasteland that has one of the highest crime rates in all of Europe, mostly as as a result of I.V. drug use and the crime and disease associated with that addiction.

If you choose to book a discount hotel in Mestre and park you car there - just be sure you get theft insurance for the car, you don't leave any valuables in your room, you don't wear visible jewelry and make sure you have at least one xerox copy of your passport stowed in a safe location (preferably w/a relative/friend who isn't traveling w/you) as the copy will make it much easier to replace once it is stolen.