FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:29 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by milesrus
BocaStephen, you probably won't see this for awhile as you must be driving to Washington seeking a bailout as it appears your one that the world owes you, for merely existing. I noticed your handle says Platinum Starwood and Gold Hilton for whatever that's worth. It appears your done with Hilton, so it's your wish to trash the chain. We all stay for different reasons. I have previously been a Platinum Starwood but had to give it up as to lack of properties in smaller cities. Still doesn't mean, I felt the need to trash them. I stayed at the Maui Westin last August and will be at the Sheraton Westin in July on points. As to 8 people spending $3,000 at Waikoloa, I'm not sure it's your place to decide why I should spend my money at the hotel or off property. We did a lot more than eat there. We did 1 or 2 Red Sail activities, golf etc. I Red Sail cruise alone I think was $500. The hotels are paid a nominal amount of points,The Hampton Inn in Branson gets $14 a night per award stay. That barely pays the maid service. Some chains pay on average roomrate. If these stories are right and the hotel is getting $250 a night and is 40 percent full then the average is $125. take all the flight crews, all the airplane package tours and I doubt the hotel gets much remimbursment. Then people like you go there and expect free rooms, free breakfast and you plan to eat off property and not spend a dime there, and you wonder why they get tired of freeloaders like you!
I'm not trashing anything - I've stayed at HWV quite a few times under its previous management. I've had great experiences at many other Hilton properties as well. My beef is with Hilton/Hhonors policy towards Golds - as mentioned before, they hand out Gold status to anyone with a pulse, then complain there are too many and cut back the benefits. A stupid business decision.

Your post is way off base. The reimbursement comes from Hilton for rooms sold for awards. Unlike SPG, where we're not subject to redemption restrictions, a Hilton property can restrict access to free rooms if it wants to offer more rooms for sale.

The reimbursement amount is between the property and Hhonors - it's not our job to make up the difference you personally perceive exists.

If you want to throw your money away by giving it to the hotel for absolutely no valid reason, then have fun - but to suggest we should all be stuck with a $100/day charge for our free room is beyond ludicrous. We already paid for those rooms by spending at other properties, or other channels to earn points.

If the HWV is unhappy with its participation in Hhonors and feels it's getting the shaft, they can leave the program and seek their fortunes independently or with another program.

A big for suggesting that anyone who redeems a free room and doesn't voluntarily dump cash at the hotel to make up for it is a free-loader. I guess you feel the hotel is a qualified charity of some sort.