FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OKTOBERFEST GAYLA 2009: Munich, Germany Sept 18-20 “Will Bavaria Ever Be The Same?”
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:53 am
olafman

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
Sounds great, Olaf! I'll put that into consideration... How's life across the pond btw? Missing us in the US of A, yet?
We're doing well here in Germany. It's been a big change for us all but I think that we are finally getting settled. We lasted four months without buying a car but finally two weeks ago took the plunge. It has already snowed a couple of times here and going grocery shopping on your bike in the snow is not a lot of fun!

Our daily lives here are very different than what we knew in LA. First off, we eat MUCH more pork here. Bavarians aren't as fond of beef as we are in CA but they sure love their pork! We are definitely missing the choices of ethnic food that we eat in LA. Luckily we have a Thai restaurant that's about 2 blocks from our house.

We've really enjoyed getting to know Southern Germany during the few months that we've been here. It is absolutely gorgeous. We love living a block and a half from Lake Starnberg. It is so beautiful especially when you can see the Alps in the distance.

Being a good FTer, we're fleeing the cold and snow over Christmas and spending two weeks in South Africa to see my family. It is the first time that any of us have lived in a cold climate. I have NEVER looked forward to sun and swimming so much in my life!

Oktoberfest has been one of the highlights of our experience so far. We ended up going three times: once for gay day, once with some friends and once for a work party. I have to admit that it was the CRAZIEST work party I'd ever been to. When's the last time you danced on a table with your straight boss?

You should definitely think about coming to join us for the Oktoberfest Gay Day. It was a blast last year and it is going to be even better this year with all my FT brothers and sisters!