FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CDG unscheduled stopover
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:45 am
roneyc

Question CDG unscheduled stopover

My family is booked to return on Christmas Day via VIE-CDG-IAH. Checking AF site, my 45 minute connection is terminal 2D to 2E. I recently saw AF announcement of free Paris stopover so I inquired. Since I was already ticketed through my TA, there would be $250 change per ticket. I declined.

So, hypothetically, assuming my 45-minute interval is already tight, what are the chances my family will have the spend Christmas Day in Paris ? Since in my limited flying experience, I've always scrupulously avoided missed connections, what can I expect procedurally? AF only has one daily flight to IAH; can they require that we be rebooked on a non-direct flight same day? I've already checked the flight for 26.12 and it's pretty empty. Also, if we carried on essentials to make it through the night, can AF or I contact IAH to lock up our substantial number of bags (large family ending 15 day trip) at baggage claim? Or will the bags fail to make the scheduled flight also and we'd have them with us overnight?

If we arrive at approximately 0930, what can we expect time-wise for clearing security, customs, transport, etc. to reach central Paris and get in some sightseeing? Will it be worth the hassle?

Finally, I'm a non-elite longtime OnePass member and didn't plan to join AF afinity program for this single transaction. Would it make any difference in the scenario above in terms of accommodating our needs? TIA.