View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 08, 8:20 am
Gargoyle
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Compensation denied for cancelled flight

A question about compensation.

My AF segment PSA-CDG a couple months ago was cancelled due to mechanical problems, and I was rerouted on a flight 6 hours later. As a result, I missed my CDG-ORD connection, and AF put me on the CDG-CVG flight the next day (with connection CVG-ORD). AF did take care of my hotel at CDG. I wrote requesting the Euro 600 compensation.

In their reply, they stated that "flight delays or cancellation such as damage to the aircraft or technical failure that can affect the passengers' safety are classified as extraordinary circumstances beyond the airline's control. According to the European Regulation 261/2004, no compensation is due in this case."

If that is true, doesn't that pretty much negate the compensation rules and mean they never have to give compensation except in extremely rare situations, such as the crew forgetting to show up for work?

Side question- I was ticketed on DL stock, flying AF metal. I haven't contacted DL, only AF... any point in pursuing this, either with AF or DL?

The EU rules are outlined on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...ation_261/2004 where it does say they don't have to provide compensation if "the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure." I never received an explaination of the specific mechanical problem with my flight, but it sounds like any problem which appears outside the normal maintenance schedule could be classified as "extraordinary".