FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is RER safe?
Thread: Is RER safe?
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2008, 1:34 am
Armchair Flyer

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Like JOUY31 I used to happily use the RER B to and from CDG, until about 4 years ago I was in the same carriage as a guy who was assaulted and had his laptop bag forcibly removed for him by a youth whilst we were at one of the stations between CDG and the Gare du Nord. The youth made good his escape by pulling the emergency handle and sprinting off. That was early morning, me having just stepped off a redeye from the US. All happened very quickly and as I was sitting on a bench seat next to the door I reflected that it could so easily have been me.

My advice would be to avoid the RER to and from CDG, period (by the way, please note that I am not saying avoid the RER, period. The rest of it I use frequently. I just avoid the bit from CDG to the Gare du Nord inclusive). Don't put yourself in a position where there is a possibility that you might be compromised, it isn't worth it.

Cheers

Sim

By the way I've edited this post just to add: some RER trains stop (or used to stop) at all the stations between CDG and Gare du Nord. Others are direct from CDG to Gare du Nord. Same in the other direction. You might be thinking "it's the stops that are the problem so we'll just take the direct train, no worries". My advice is still the same, it isn't worth it. Take the cab.

Last edited by Armchair Flyer; Nov 28, 2008 at 1:43 am