FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Intl upgrade to First from a Coach T purchased seat?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:21 am
performancefitness

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
many questions... few answers

I have a bad back, long legs, and get claustraphobic... .whatever the reason the agents always flip out when you want to buy and extra seat. What should or do they care?! I have been flying to Europe for years laying down across more than one seat since Delta does not have yet "lay-flat" seats. I pay for flights with AmEx Plat cc. If Delta doesn't give miles, I dispute with cc. That is what I am really buying, plus the extra room. You have to get with Delta after the fact and over the past 4 years, they have given me the extra miles (bonus and MQM's for the flights).

Not really a mileage run... called it that because I bought more seats than normal... usually just buy two (get the middle free - if not to full because of status). Sometime buy the middle just to make sure. Last year, made a weekend trip to Austria with 4 seats for which I was given all credits, benefits, AND meals! reason for 4... yeah you can lay down but on TO and Landing, you have to sit up... if I fall asleep sitting up, some shmuck usually manages to sit back and crush my knees. It's all about the leg room.

I have had a bad experience or two with FAs who want to take my seats and are adamant about it... so if I politely give it up, take down her name and the lead attendant and pilot, wait til I get my miles, then get a ticket refund through american express because I did not get what I paid for. Recently, I have started giving a heads up to the FAs and they have been very nice to make sure other Pax don't take my seat and other FAs don't give them away.

On the sardine can, full flight last year, I took a friend to Austria so he could benefit from the largess of my necessity to purchase 4 seats for a MR weekend. He and I both got the row on a nearly full flight. People would walk by and hit him in the head with their legs or toss paper at him. Didn't me because I am big and mean-looking (Don't tug on superman's cape!).

I didn't ask for credit ETFC bc I need the miles to make PM again this year.

I heard from a Delta marketing person sitting next to me in first that the plane was probably nearly oversold. When checking the seating chart, there was only one seat free before the flight...

overall, was very please. got upgraded and still get the MQMs and bonuses.
Bought 100 more shares of Delta when I landed!!!