FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1Ks - please ask UA to make GPU's good on *ALL* fares, due to new co-pay deal
Old Nov 16, 2008, 1:41 am
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
1Ks - please ask UA to make GPU's good on *ALL* fares, due to new co-pay deal

The new changes that come into effect after July 1 2009, means the once enormous benefit of a SWU decreases dramatically for many 1Ks and GS.

Right now (and for many years past) you could book a 'W' ticket for most It'l routes, and be pretty sure there will be some NC inventory on the days you really want, or a day either side of when you mostly wish to fly.

Until now NON 1Ks/GS (even 1Ps) had no chance whatever of upgrading long haul in advance unless:

1. They bought a very expensive YBMH ticket, and used miles to upgrade
2. They used the very rarely seen CS one segment upgrade certs etc
3. They waited until day of flight and hoped UA offered the ~$500 upgrade per segment.

The new change means to a 1K or GS living in a place like Australia, there will be now VERY many times, little or no chance of a SWU clearing in advance - if at all.

With the 20 less x C seats on new config 747s, it is already proving to be upgrades on day of flight essentially for 1Ks, on near empty cabins, as occurred to us last week. 38 empty C seats and the upgrade cleared less than 24 hours before flight time. (And this was OLD config 747.) Had been PA wait-listed for 2 months

When Ma and Pa Kettle are able to book the very cheapest fare buckets, and then use some miles and some bucks to grab that NC upgrade inventory, up to 11 months in advance, on their once a year/decade vacation, the game will be a MESS trying to find an NC seat on many routes. (Of course there are over 50 MILLION members of MP that are not 1Ks - from 1P down.)

A 1K/GS still needs to buy a 'V' or 'W' fare or above, to use a SWU after July 1 unless we get the rules changed for using SWUs. These classes are often are DOUBLE the cost of 'S' or 'T' etc, that total non status Ma and Pa Kettles can now buy and upgrade, meaning the $ cost to them of a SYD-LAX is near the same as a 1K/GS using a SWU. Makes no sense for UA to do that.

I've been a 1K for 9 years and remember as many others members do when for years SWU's were good on ALL BUYABLE COACH FARE CLASSES.

I am urging 1Ks/GS to write UA or 1K Voice and ask that again be the case, when the SWUs are issued in January 2009 to most 1Ks.

OR ... change the rules of the co-pay so that only W and above fares are eligible. FAR more money to UA than the proposed system, and a more level playing field. i.e. a 1K "pays" for the upgrade with a hard won SWU .... non 1Ks "pay" with some cash and points.

In 2003 UA changed the rules to allow only YBMH fares for SWU use.

When UA changed the fare classes good for SWU that year there was a riot, and a VERY active bulletin board of 1Ks from here .... with full approval of Randy Petersen, was set up outside FT, and scared the pants off UA it seems - as HUNDREDS of 1K members signed up there and were very ANGRY.

In mid 2003 UA backed off that rule change due to this outcry, and indeed mailed all 1K's in mid 2003, 4 x paper "Sweet Spot" upgrade Certs good for ANY buyable fare class on UA or LH for It'l upgrade. (In addition to the usual 6 x SWU.)

So in very recent years, UA have backed off on SWU rules. UA have backed off this month on the 500 mile minimum rules for Elites counting as Status and account miles. So they DO change their mind if enough heat is generated from Elites.

I am urging all 1Ks/GS who agree with my POV, to contact UA and urge them to amend the wording for the next batch of SWU's, to allow upgrades on EVERY buyable coach fare type.

Non 1Ks will still need to co-pay and use miles - that's fine, but the wording change recognises that 1K's will face ENORMOUSLY reduced chances of getting a cleared upgrade, based solely on UA's new co-pay rules.

Let's face it, SWU's are the main reason most of us bother to reach 1K. Many years I've spent a LOT more money with UA just to ensure I got them.

If they do not change the fare classes for SWU's, I'll be just as happy to drop to 1P, spend $8,000 less a year with UA to do so, and simply burn some miles, and wear the co-pay when I need to fly.

On tickets from here to USA where there is sometimes $1,000 difference between 'S' and 'V', it is a no brainer.

How does UA win out of that? They get the same bucks more or less from me to fly Biz, on the flights I want, but I'd fly half as many trips a year, and spend half as much dough. DUMB move for UA.

As a 1P I'd still get the 100% miles bonus, exit row seats, RCC access, elite check-in etc.

Heck I might even start burning some of my million+ MP miles, and not paying for $2200 V class tickets - now there's a downside for UA.

Right now in this global economic mess, when massive entities like General Motors might founder, I'd bet WHQ wants to retain EVERY top level Elite they have, as those top few % of MP members give UA about 20% of their ticket dollars.

If it means them tweaking the wording of an upgrade Cert (to where it used to be anyway) .. I'll bet they look at it, if enough folks ask them to consider it. @:-)

Right now the SWUs are a long way off being deposited, so the time for some action is NOW.

Glen

------------------

From - www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113792

(Historical note - the very last "PAPER" issue standard 1K Systemwide Upgrades (SWU) were valid mostly until March 31, 2004. (BP6U1K) They when issued VERY sadly did NOT allow International upgrades from fare classes other than (generally high priced) H, B, M, Y, C classes - and a much wider range of fare classes WITHIN North America.

The issue of these far more restrictive SWU's caused enormous discontent among 1Ks. Scores of FT threads were raging on the subject on FT. UA's only initial concession to the resulting RIOT was to add "D" (paid business) class to the It'l classes - and this was printed on back of most (but not all) "2003" mailed SWUs. SWU's mailed before they changed their mind (not very many) had the older wording.

In July 2003 FlyerTalkers were alerted that United were mailing EVERY person who was a current 1K as of a cut-off date in June - FOUR of a "new" type SWU, called "Sweet Spot" certs, Profile code PMO/UG-SWEET SPOT. (Allegedly mailed due to UA's sponsorship of the US Tennis Open.) These were in effect a transferable SWU allowing use with virtually EVERY buyable fare type in business and coach class. These were valid July 15, 2003 to February 29, 2004 on UA and LH flights.)

In 2004, UA for the first time went to ELECTRONIC "SWU's" - and all 1K's got 6 deposited into their accounts, and 'Million Milers' who were also 1K got an extra 2, and 1Ks who flew certain specific mile targets during 2003 got extras as well.

Last edited by ozstamps; Nov 17, 2008 at 4:12 pm