FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1k needs help on award vs buying to LHR. Let the mob decide!
Old Nov 10, 08, 9:05 pm
SNA-UA

Programs: UA
1k needs help on award vs buying to LHR. Let the mob decide!

So I've been 1K for a few years, but flying out of SNA (737/757 central!), I rarely am able to get LD flights that are worth upgrading for. What's is that crazy I have SWU's & CR-1's that expire every year from "I'm-saving-them-for-flights-when-they'll-really-be-worth-it" syndrome, which of course, never comes around. But really, how quickly would you pull the trigger on using a SWU to fly to Birmingham AL with a connection in Denver? Or to San Francisco? Or Lubbock, TX?

After 3 years, I have never used a SWU or CR1. Sad huh? (I typically use my e500's to upgrade domestically and fly SQ to China for work)

So here's my deal:
700k miles in the bank
SWU's and CR1's galore.

I'd like to go see Arsenal play West Ham United in London Saturday January 30th. I can leave Thursday the 29th and come back Monday the 2nd.

As a 1k, I can get the saver award I want for 50k.
Or I can pay $770 and upgrade to C class using my SWU's.

I do well so I can pay the $770, but I'm a frugal person (hence the saving but never using the SWU's) so it's hard for me to pull the trigger on it and then upgrade.

What do I do? I'm throwing myself to the decision of the mob!

Thanks!