FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 13: Building Consensus
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:56 am
RichMSN
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think consensus building requires two things:

(1) The ability to speak clearly and eloquently on your thoughts.

(2) Listening (no, REALLY listening) to others.

The more complicated and involved the issue, the harder it is to reach consensus.

The recent TB Guidelines experience showed both the good and bad side of building consensus. I thought the original document was over-reaching and it was clear that it wasn't going to pass in the original form. Putting the motion out before consensus was reached caused a divisive exchange for the entire voting period between TB members and between general members of FlyerTalk.

The revised document showed movement in both sides and showed a good compromise. It is my opinion, however, that this could've been accomplished earlier and without as much rancor, had the original motion not been put forward and seconded so quickly without buy-in of at least a 2/3 majority of TB. I'm not saying that no motion should ever be put forward that will not pass (see Question 14), but in this case, with such a long process in building this document, it's something that should've been able to pass almost immediately after a short discussion period in the public forum.