FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 8: Local Forum Participation
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:52 pm
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
submitted by Landing Gear
I did not notice many candidates naming Travel & Dining Destination forums as their favorite forum.

Do you actively participate in the FT local forum for the place where you live? If not, why not?
My usual routine after logging on to FT is to hit the New Posts button and see what subjects interest me. For the last five years or so, I have found myself betwixt and between Los Angeles and San Francisco, and don't consider myself "expert" in either city. I can't offer advice about, for example, hotels and restaurants. However, if I see a topic that involves something I do know about, e.g. where to find authentic Chinese food, how bad is driving, is south of Mission a bad area, etc., I'll always do a responsive post.

Similarly, if I'm going somewhere new, FT is my first resource for information (unless it's a business trip in the U.S., in which case it doesn't matter -- to me, a hotel is a hotel, a conference room is a conference, and an airport is an airport ).

For this reason, I don't read the destination forums on a regular basis, though I'm certainly no stranger to them and consider them an extremely valuable FT asset.

Last edited by PTravel; Nov 3, 2008 at 5:10 pm Reason: Memo to myself: Never post before drinking coffee.