FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newbie on course to hit Plat - is it worth it?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:20 pm
Swiss Tony
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Newbie on course to hit Plat - is it worth it?

Hi,

OK, I'll be honest here. I've never been one to go chasing status with a specific hotel chain, instead preferring to have the flexibility to stay wherever I want and picking up whatever promos are being thrown about by the airlines (hence Marriott Gold).

However I've recently been staying in the CP in London off and on. This, combined with the rather generous bonus points offers and the fact that they seem to count for status means i'm thundering my way towards Platinum on points (not stays). I picked up almost 13k points for my last two night stay so only need another 9k to hit target.

Obviously I need to do this by the year end and time is starting to ebb away, so what do I do???

The 50% bonus on base points, whilst attractive at first, is somewhat offset by the fact this is a small %age of overall points given the other bonus offers open to all.

So how likely am I to actually see any benefit from the room upgrades?

And are they at all decent with late check-outs, or is it the usual messing around trying to get something sorted out type affair?

Specifically I need to stay in HKG at the start of next year and am trying to decide between the JW Marriott and one of the ICs...

Any advice welcome!