FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Cairns - fly or drive?
View Single Post
Old Oct 31, 2008, 2:54 pm
CXYYZ

A word of caution if you decide to book an AA award ticket. If you happen to get a Qantas codeshare flight on Jetstar, AA doesn't have the ability to issue an e-ticket. At the same time, the agent issuing your ticket might not notice that.

Jetstar's reservations system is simplistic and doesn't recognise whether or not a passenger needs a paper ticket (they just bill Qantas for the codeshare), but the Qantas system does (if you happen to have another flight on Qantas metal).

As I said, your lovely AAgent may not realise you need a paper ticket and you might even get an e-ticket confirmation sent to you. You could show up at the airport and find yourself having a choice between buying a new ticket at a walk-up fare or not flying. BTW, middle of the day in Australia is middle of the night back in North America. That means AA don't answer the phones and calls get routed to India and they're beyond useless. I ended up buying the ticket.

The series of events that resulted in me giving this word of caution can't be common, but it happened and I was none too happy. Buyer beware. There are two things to be learned from this:

1. If you've got a codeshare on Jetstar, make sure you're issued a paper ticket.
2. If you don't get a paper ticket, make bloody sure you have a print out of your e-ticket confirmation with the ticket number. In fact, you'd do yourself some help by also asking AA to give you the Qantas record locator for your reservation since it's not the same as the AA one.

Last edited by CXYYZ; Oct 31, 2008 at 2:59 pm