Old Oct 30, 08, 10:33 am
MKB

I stayed here last month. Platinum upgrade was to one of the very nice suites on the top (3rd) floor with a balcony. (That floor consists solely of six suites. There are also a couple of suites at the end of the first and second floors, I think.)

I liked this hotel a lot. However, there were some minor problems that I would have expected the hotel to have sorted out by now. For example, in the room, there was no bedside lamp on the left (i.e. my!) side of the bed. And, iirc, the switch for the lamp on the right side of the bed brought several other lights on as well. In fact, the assortment of light switches throughout the two rooms seemed to have been wired randomly, with some doing nothing. Also the bathroom shaver socket didn't work. Luckily, the one in the second toilet room did.

There are a lot of Eastern European bar staff and waiters, who were pleasant enough, but generally quite hopeless to be honest. Just trying to get some ketchup to go with my breakfast omelette proved particularly difficult. Happily, once you find someone with an Irish accent, any requests get dealt with quickly and efficiently. The food at breakfast was not very impressive for this standard of hotel with quite a limited range of options.

There was a problem with the fireplace filling the bar with smoke. Some guests complained, so a door was opened. This dealt with the smoke, but it was then freezing.

Thanks to the poor value of the to the , bar and restaurant prices seemed high.

When driving to the hotel, follow signs for Cobh. We nearly missed the turn off the main road from Cork because we had expected to see Fota sign-posted, but it wasn't.