FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Cairns - fly or drive?
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:16 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've done Sydney-Cairns twice by bus and it was 42 hours the last trip (had a bus pass that allowed me to overnight at a couple places along the way). Unless you have a couple weeks, though, you really don't want to do this, let alone drive it, and it looks like you've already made that decision.

Originally Posted by onedog
The Mrs. and I are both AA Platinum but if we are flying QF do we get QF lounge access on intra-Australia flights?
Yes, you do. Even Admirals Club members have access under a reciprocal agreement. I have photos of the SYD domestic lounge below from my visit in May on the way to Brisbane.

I think I'd stick to the east coast and maybe add on Brisbane. That gives you access to the Sunshine Coast (beaches, Australia Zoo, aquariums). I have photos of that area below, too.

One site you'll want to use for research is the Trip Planner part of Weather Underground that tracks historical temperatures so you can get an idea of what to expect. Sydney, for instance, has an average temperature of 63 degrees the last week of June, while Brisbane jumps to 68, and Cairns to 77.