Old Oct 26, 08, 11:23 pm
SJCFlyerLG
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
How far in advance do you purchase the ticket?

I believe the key to my success is booking at least 6 to 8 weeks out whenever possible.

As i mentioned above, I often clear within hours of the flight or on the drive to the airport myself. Frustrating, but better than not clearing. There have been threads of people complaining about which seat they get in F, so I guess there is always something to complain about.
I don't know what you do to be able to book trips 6 to 8 weeks in advance, but mine are usually done with 2 weeks maximum notice, and most are done within one week. The change in priority to the original request has killed my hit rate. As a PLT, I have made less than 50% this year. Last year, I was at 80%. Given that my tix are bought with short notice, I am paying a lot higher fares than those who are getting the upgrade. This makes no sense to me from AA's revenue perspective.

Also, this year and next year are going to be really tough on PLT's because of the EQM bonus earlier this year. Tons of flyers have been bumped into the next tier because of it. On a 5:30PM flight DFW-SJC on Friday, there were 32 passengers on the upgrade list. I was number 8, and I booked this ticket 10 days out. I am even having trouble getting exit rows now.