Old Oct 24, 08, 6:44 am
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
We are all aware that the pound has been in freefall lately. That is going to play havoc with some award bookings. While airlines don't amend their exchange rates on a daily basis, the next upload is sure to be a kicker, partcularly on airlines that charge YQ in US$.
I agree that this sort of change is bad for folks in the UK (and great for me in the USA), but my understanding is that the airlines DO update their exchange rates daily, or at least that they are governed by IATA and are loaded into the GDSes somehow as a conversion to NUCs or something like that. There was some discussion in the Mileage Run forum last week as Iceland started their economic meltdown about how a re-pricing of fares into the new ISK could make that an affordable destination, at least air-fare wise. And I know that when pricing tickets in the past I've seen a variation of a few cents here or there on international tickets as the exchange rate varies on the various taxes/fees.

So, yes, this is something to keep an eye on, but I think that it might be even worse than you thought.

S.