FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New TSA requirements for address and DOB
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:36 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
NAL. but could an request for injunction be filed in federal court asking to halt the implemtation of this rule until a hearing was held.

Seems like someone or some group would have concerns with this.
I asked our lobbyist this question - the law states that DHS can implement, at its sole discretion, any process, rule or procedure to ensure the security of the United States. Congress gave up its oversight of this process, and we would need to file a court injunction which could cost in the mid 5-figures to implement.

The only hope for right now is a well funded organization like the ACLU having its lawyers file the injunction.

Our lobbyist is trying to arrange for me to get on the 'lame duck' Homeland Security Committee docket post-election to testify on these matters, representing the interests of private frequent travelers. This will introduce me to the Committee (the makeup of which is likely to change when Congress reconvenes) and give me some practice testifying.

On the bright side - if Obama takes the Presidency, the most likely candidate for Secretary of Homeland Security is an individual who is known for having an interest in protecting civil liberties and privacy - the challenge will be undoing what the current group wants to ram through before they clean out their offices.