FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OMNI: open to all & posts showing up in web searches
Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:32 pm
macabus

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I think the vast majority of members trust me to make these types of decisions so they can spend their time enjoying the value of the information on FlyerTalk.
Randy, I often use the "New Posts" feature to see what the latest threads have to offer. Many times OMNI threads are a large percentage of these new topics, and most are not of interest to me.

Without a post requirement, I can see FlyerTalk evolving into a free-for-all where life forms from all corners of the internet use OMNI to preach from their soapboxes.

If you are truly concerned about members enjoying the various aspects of FT without constantly encountering topics they would rather not have to read through, then I would recommend the following options:

1) Separate OMNI from the "New Posts" feature on the main FT site. Give OMNI its own listing of new topics, but keep it separate. After all, members don't get credit for their post counts there.

2) Allow new members to read OMNI threads, but don't allow them to post until they have contributed a certain number of posts on the travel side.

3) Allow new members to post on Omni, but not be able to start new threads until certain requirements have been met.

But I think option number one is critical. There have been numerous threads asking how to hide OMNI posts when looking through new posts.

Also, find a way to keep Google from archiving OMNI posts. This could potentially cause a firestorm down the road...