FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:19 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The towers are part of the Moana Surfrider hotel and pre-date the Westin branding by ages - I don't recall them being built as separate hotels and 'integrated' into the Moana.

I agree the elevators are slow, but this a common problem in many hotels. The towers are newer than the Banyan Wing, but certainly not 'brand new' by any stretch.

The balcony angles are just fine - only the suites have direct oceanfront views. In order to give the other rooms a direct ocean view, the buildings would need to be turned on their sides - an impossibility. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want a direct oceanfront view while missing the quintessential Honolulu visual - Waikiki beach, surfers on the water and Diamond Head. Just make sure you request a Diamond Head-facing water view before arrival.

The lounge is a problem - and their decision to restrict it to certain Japanese guests, while offering a buy-up for a ridiculous $50 to others, is very odd. I might even consider the restriction to be illegal, as they are saying that only persons of a certain national origin may enter the lounge for free. Honestly, request a mini-fridge with your room, go buy some fresh pineapple, papaya and juices at the market, and enjoy your own fixins' on the privacy of your balcony.

When I visited the lounge, I often found it crowded with no place to sit, they ran out of fruit constantly, and the juices came out of a concentration dispenser. I could do better on my own. On other Islands, I usually pick wild papaya, guava and passion fruit, soak them overnight in the bucket with some ice, then enjoy them for breakfast the next morning. I don't need the hotel for that.

It's still a great hotel - not perfect - but not a disgrace by any stretch.