FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you're going to San Francisco... SFO MegaDo Trip Report
Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:29 am
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Thanks for the responses people ... I'll try and go through them point-to-point

Originally Posted by aw
Thank you for that interesting and enjoyable report. I agree that the sheer volume of business that Gate Gourmet does can seem overwhelming. Out of curiosity, was there a UA catering manager present when you guys took the tour? Did you meet the GM for Gate Gourmet? If so, was his name Sydney? I appreciate your sharing this report.
I'll pass that to lucky9876coins as my brain was partially fried out of my head...

Originally Posted by sfogate
I just love reading these trip reports, especially when I have met the writer. Great report Kevincm and it was a pleasure to meet you.
Thanks sfogate... your prize is in the post tommorow! - and it was great meeting you

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Great report!!^

Sorry you got stuck in row 61.

It was very nice meeting you and I will definitely look you up next time I am in the UK.
Great to meet you UA_Flyer . It could had been a lot worse I think - the 3 4 - 3 seating looked *very* tight, whilst at least I could rest my legs and camera against the interior without overscretching myself. Certainly one of the better seats on a 747 - if it's nigh on impossible getting off the plane quickly...

Originally Posted by Moomba
Thanks for an entertaining report Kevincm. It is nice to be able to live vicariously through you. I had forgotten what a whY meal tray looked like.

Hmm should I have copyrighted "Bits and Bobs"? I think you are the second FT TR writer to coin that phrase apart from me.
Damm Moomba - I've had to reach for the dictionary for that - I try to keep them entertaining as there's only so many F class and C class meals you can see before remembering what whY food is like . I couldn't describe the other bits as anything else, so it was a bit of bit and bob actually

Originally Posted by JerseyVics
I had the same opinion as you about United equipment... mechanically sound (hopefully) but tired and worn out inside and out.

--Russ
The UA747's are themselves fine, but the crux of the issue is what you do to them (and I'm not talking about the ducktape fixes alas). Maybe I've been spoiled with BD and US A330's (Spoilt - by US Airways? Oh dear...), but the units look and feel terribley outdated in terms of passenger ammienties in the back. There's more chance of UA grounding the 747's them before fully stripping a plane back and making it more for the Y class customer.

It gives credence to the thought that F has become C, C has become the Y and Y has become a bucket seat....

Originally Posted by kingalien
Was the extra luggage full of PB oreos?
Errm . I brought a few more packs of Double Stuff ones too . Damm Walgreens for a having a promotion (and also for having a branch next door to the hotel) (I also picked up a few things for the office too - so not too guilty.