FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:25 am
kirax2

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
I wanted to mention my experiences having these sent to PO Boxes.

I decided to open 4 PO boxes in August. It was just really easy online...I opened 1 and it said, "Want to open another one?" so I got a bit carried away. However, I got some Very funny looks from the people at the Post Office when I went to actually open the accounts. It really would have been much better to open one account at a time.

The accounts are $20.00/6 months, but you get a half refund if you cancel before the end of three months. I think I will have to cancel them before Van Buren comes out in order to qualify for the refund, but 3500 miles for $10.00 comes out to .0029 cents per mile, so it's still a great deal. Plus I got to hit the minimum spend on several churn cards very easily!

One issue I had was that, several times, the Mint shipped orders via UPS. Since UPS doesn't deliver to PO Boxes, this created a problem. Fortunately I stayed on top of the orders by following the tracking numbers. If this happens to you, here's what to do: keep checking UPS every day until your order says that they attempted delivery and an exception was thrown. At that point you can call them and arrange to pick up the coins at their office, or have them re-routed to your house. I've done both. When I picked them up from the service center, I had to give them my driver's license. When the Mint tried to ship another order to the same PO Box via UPS, they apparently had my address on file, because they automatically re-routed that one to my house. When they delivered to my house, they left the box on the doorstep and did not require a signature. I didn't mind because I was home and it saved me a trip to the Post Office.

So far I've had 5 orders delivered by registered mail to the Post Office, 3 orders delivered by UPS (ALL of them Jackson - I haven't had this problem with any other president). I have one more Jackson UPS order in limbo, it shows up in the UPS system but doesn't show as shipped yet. I talked to the Mint about it and they said that it may not have actually arrived at the UPS shipping facility yet and I have to wait several more weeks before contacting them again. The rest of my orders are either on hold, in process, or haven't been placed yet.

I hope this isn't too confusing. If you have any questions, please let me know. I hope this info helps someone.

Thanks!
-kirax2