FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schengen - What does 90 days in 180 days really mean?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:44 am
Ian79

I know, it did sound like nonsense, but that's what he said.
This is what I experienced, not my opinion of how I'd imagine things ought to be. And im sorry, I mean't Immigration officer, not customs...

what is it about the internet that makes people so confrontational?

But anyways, that's why I take it with a grain of salt, but after looking into the IND, it says that you can be living with someone and as long as they earn over 1500 or something euros a month, then you can have a residence permit which must be renewed every year.

As for the work permit, my company has been trying for 3 years going in different ways, but the laws keep changing, and we've been getting the runaround over and over. Its full of catch 22's and things that make it very hard to get the permit since you have to prove that nobody else in europe can do your job, plus the offices are way understaffed and way overworked.
We are currently trying through the kennismigratie which is apparantely faster, but we'll see how that goes *fingers crossed*.

Until the real papers ever come through its a business to business deal since I have a company in Canada to which they send money, so im technically not working illegally. However it is a bit grey, and a situation im getting tired of really. But my boss says if it really comes down to it, he'll make me a partner in the company, and that's another way in.

(as a side note, once you are inside the EU I've had my passport checked about 4 times in random document checks and I've never witnessed anyone even remotely caring how long I had stayed there. But then again you never know, right)

I'm not bragging I'm just wanting to share what I've experienced first hand since message boards are so awash with opinions and people cutting and pasting what they read off official websites, and very few actual experiences.

And the advice I'd give to anyone worrying about this or anything before they travel somewhere, is to go for it and sort it out as you go along.

Address problems as they arise and don't become paralyzed with fear before you even set out on your journey. (Paralysis through analysis)

9/10 times out of 10, the worst thing that happens is something you never even knew you should have worried about.

And even when the worst happens, with enough persistence there's always a way to solve it.