FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:49 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
received JA today--ordered on my wife's amex as APARTMENT 1 and it worked again.

Fed X came and wanted a signature too.

I then took them in my car when doing errands. Had to pay the tool and lawnmower repairman to fix those items and he takes cash and checks but I didnt want to dump this old workin' man these coins, so I decided to get paper money for the bloke.

Stopped into a pizza place and the old Greek lady there would NOT take an unopened roll of $25 to pay for my $7 in food (whereas ideally she'd give me back change and keep the roll unopened for ease). She said banks she makes business deposits into give her hassle and nobody takes the coins. She gets a few because the pizza place is near the train.

Across the street is a post office, which could not take them for paper money. Near that is a bank I have no acct at and the tellers said, "we have to take them--they are currency. She gave me $ and I left. I told her BofA will only take them from me now if I give them lots of $2,000. She said their bank will actually hold them til they get that much but they have no problem taken the coins.

I paid the tool man real money but the bill was $102 so I gave him 2 coins and he had never seen them. Like the Greek lady, he said he did not like them and thought most people do not.

So it's harder to REDEEM these, but they do work if you know how--kinda like a mileage award, eh?