FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Mastercard - Merchant Database Compromise
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:28 am
Kate_Canuck
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Citi Mastercard - Merchant Database Compromise

I just learned from Citi that my Citi Mastercard appears to have been compromised as a result of a "merchant database compromise". The account seems to have been closed down relatively quickly and a new card sent out. I'm concerned about a couple of things, though. First, I heard of the problem via receipt in the mail of a new card. I'm a Citigold customer. Maybe a phone call earlier would have been a good idea. Also, what if the security compromise extends somehow to identity theft? Sending a new card to the address on my account could simply involve sending the card to the fraudster? Second, no one (neither Citi nor Mastercard) is able or willing to tell me who the suspected merchant is at this time. Mastercard said that, in about 60-90 days, when the fraud investigation is complete, Citi may be able to provide me with the information (but I'm not holding my breath). I suppose the good thing is that I don't use this card very much, so my list of suspected merchants has only about a half a dozen names, and I can avoid those retailers until I learn more. I'm also concerned that the database compromise resulted from a purchase made through an online purchase made through the Thank You Points earnings mall.

Any suggestions for additional steps I should take to protect my accounts and identity? Thanks

Last edited by Kate_Canuck; Sep 9, 2008 at 4:47 pm