FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:58 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I will be holding onto about $50-75 worth of coins to go to a red sox game next week and use them for beers in the stands. When I pass the money between other seated fans to the vendor who just passed over my drinks, I am sure I will get some looks. Heck, maybe like the wrapped snacks and cans of sodas, I will pitch the rolled $25 coins to the guy and see what happens!

I was in my bank today-- a local BofA. The teller knows me now and he loves these coins. He said he exchanged his own money for some after work one day and he keeps them in his car and/or gives them to kids and cousins as souvinirs.

He told me a lot of people ask for them and in fact, many Bank of America branches all over the state have been putting intranet requests for them so everything I have brought into that branch goes rather quickly. It then gets circulated, he said, as evidence of that at his own branch estimates at least 4500 of them were bought by interested customers in the past week alone. He joked to me that when I was away on vacation, they wished I was there to supply them with more coins instead.

I will try that ebay thing next time. See if some desperate and naive coin collector wanna be is willing to pay extra for them!