FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis First Useless??
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:15 pm
MissJoeyDFW

Using Free Weekend Coupon

Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
I can't figure out how to use the coupons. Go to avisfirst.com, coupons, make a reservation now and you go back to avis.com for a regular reservation.

I used to use National - emerald isle was cool - take any car you want in the section. Then I showed up at the Tampa airport and there were no cars, no kisok, nothing. National went under and I was told Alamo had acquired them (off site) and would honor the reservation. Walked over to Avis and never went back.

However, Avis First is useless. Is Hertz really better?
The use of an Avis free weekend coupon is confusing on the Avis website. When you make a reservation on the Avis website it still shows the price the rental would cost for that weekend. If you look at the disclaimers it says total price does not include any coupons which will be applied at time of rental. What I do is call Avis and verify if the coupon can be used for the dates I need and make the reservation over the phone. I have used several free weekend coupons since the start of the Avis First program, the only weekend(s) that have been blocked out are holiday weekends. I have had no issues using them.

The first time I turned my free weekend rental in I got charged about $9 in taxes. I forgot and left it on my corporate credit card which is the one in my preferred profile. Now I remember when they say would you like to leave this on the cc you reserved this on to say no, please change it.