FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 90,000 BA Miles sell on eBay for £686.66!
Old Aug 24, 2008, 1:40 pm
flyboy777

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by London Dude
Since the sale of BA miles is prohibited by the BAEC's T&C, ebay should not allow these activities to continue, but then again ebay is run by a bunch of morons, as demonstrated by their idiotic acquisition of Skype, and is going to get hit by growing numbers of lawsuits concerning the origins of many of the goods trafficked through their websites.

A more serious problem is that ebay allows fraudsters who have gained access to people's BAEC accounts through trojans and other identity theft means to easily sell their BA miles without the owners' knowing what's happening.

You guys don't really think that the person "selling" those 90K miles actually owns the account, do you?

I'm going to contact BA to alert them to this type of illegal activity. I hope they come down hard on ebay and all those perpetrating this fraud. I encourage anyone who comes across this sort of activities on the Internet to do the same.
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Since when did eBay suddenly become responsible for enforcing the T&C of 3rd party contracts ? As it happenes, eBay will remove listings for FF items if/when the airline complains about a specific listing. AFAIK UA actively monitors eBay and regularly makes such requests; if BA doesn't do so, they have little cause to complain.

Personally, I don't agree with eBay's willingness to cave on such matters. If a party believes that their rights are being infringed then that is between that party and the listing party, and I see no reason why eBay should police such contract disputes.

Violation of T&C is not "illegal".
It's understandable that your concerned but it's not up to eBay to trawl through every little bit of T&Cs of every item listed. Of course this kind of activity isn't right but who's going to stop them? As already meantioned, it's not illegal activity. It's up to BA ultimately (who should now be on the case), not the so called morons at eBay...