FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egypt Air - business/first class
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:39 pm
andrewjv

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Upgrade Chances at Counter??

I will be traveling with a tour group on September 8th from JFK to Cairo and back on September 17th on Egypt Air. This is what is called a FAM tour for people who have led tours with this company so we are getting a full 10 day tour of Egypt, Luxor, Asswan with inner air on Air Egypt and round trip Economy Air to and from Cairo for around $ 2,200 including hotels, Nile River cruise, meals, etc. The tour agency is sending us our paper tickets and details in the mail this week. I have already called MS EgyptAir and spoken to "reservations" who was able to find my name on their computer. I asked if I could upgrade to Business Class or First and they sent me over to Ticketing (a separate number in their New York City office). When I called the New York City office, the lady in ticketing couldn't find my name. (This was a week or two ago). The people at the Tour Company tell me that this might be due to the fact that she didn't know where to look. They suggested I try again this week now that the tickets have been actually issued. I will actually arrive in JFK four or so hours before the plane for Cairo departs and I wonder: should I wait at the gate in International Departures for the gate counter to open or should I head out of security and go to the Egypt Air Ticket Counter and try my luck at upgrading? Should I keep calling the Ticket Office and try and buy my "way up" to Business or even First Class? I have bad sciatica and fear sitting in Coach for 12 hours. The lady in ticketing did tell me that upgrades were possible for $ 500 on the day of departure. So I am hoping for the best. The bad news is that the travel company sent us an email and warned us that Egypt Air is STILL a dry airline and that no alcohol will be served on board at all. They didn't say a thing about us bringing anything on board however.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.