View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 08, 3:26 am
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: UK
Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Posts: 3,148
Sounds like you need to think abut spain or portugal. Fits most of the requirements if you are ok doing more bar or similar work for a while to try it out.

All you need to do is pack a suitcase and get onto Easyjet. I'd say save up some cash for a month of backpacking along the Spanish coast. Start in Valencia and head down to Gibraltar. See how you feel about it.

If you find somewhere you want to stay, then it's easy to sort out residence permit as you are an EU citizen. Getting a job, well there is an economic downturn on now, so it will be harder, but who knows.

Taxes are different from country to country, and you have to tell the UK Inland Revenue that you are leaving the UK, but that's easy. As for paying taxes in the country you are moving too, well it depends on what your employer wants to do, how they declare your pay or not.

Healthcare.. just sign up for a cheap annual travel insurance policy, and treat your first few months as a 'working/backpacking' holiday. There is a new replacement to the old E1-11 card, which you should pick up also.

You'll never know unless you try it.
GK is offline