FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
order on standby list problem

I was flying on 7/25/08 flt 750 dfw-lga, on arrival (from msy) i saw that my flt was cancelled. At the ac i learned that i was booked the next day, dfw-atl-lga; i asked to be placed on the standby list for the next dfw-lga flt. At the gate i saw that i was #76 (out of 100+), i went to the gate for the next dfw-lga, and was #14 (out of 16)--but since only two got on that flt, even #3 would not have helped. For the remaining two flights to lga, i was in the low 90's. I quit and went to the ac--i was rebooked confirmed on a next day flt at 10:45 am (and since weather caused mine and several other flights to nyc to be cancelled, i accepted the "distressed rate".)
According to one of the gate agents (and from the notes on the monitor), when one checks in for their original flight, plays a big role in their place on standby list. [I didn't check in for my flights until i arrived at the airport in msy on 7/25 at 2:00 pm--yet i thought that as exp plat i should have been higher than i was--but there may have been more cancellations than i was aware of.]
Today, i tried to go standby on 700, the first flight out from dfw to lga. When i got to the gate (since there was a "windows error" message, which obscured part of the screen) i wanted to know my place on the list, agent: "you are number 46", more careful reading of the screen showed me as #1--agent: "the monitor does not show the "real" list". Things appeared even worse, when they were solitciting volunteers (with $200 vouchers) to go on a later flight (at least one, possibly two, accepted vouchers), a minute before closing the door, i was given my seat assignment.^
Why would aa give vouchers and then confirm my standby? (i am not complaining , only curious.)
What are the rules for standby order? Are they officially stated on aa.com?
correction the date 7/25/08 should be replaced by 7/27/08--i am posting this correction on 7/28/08 at 22:46 edt.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 26, 2008 at 7:10 pm Reason: edit back in original thread / post title