FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Former high school debaters, I know you're out there.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:56 am
bobsgt

Programs: yes
Yucaipa HS 81-3 Extemp, real Debate, and some LD*. (Plus fun things like the "Impromptu Eulogy" at the Berkeley tournaments ) Nationals at Oak Park HS outside Kansas City... where California 'speed debaters' did not fare well, although I was out in semi's for the extemp I qualified in (as I recall). Did very little NDT in college, but some for CSUF and some for U of R. Always kept my debate scholarship money, though

Worked at the Golden West Forensic Institute (Where Champions are made and Virgins are lost) back when it was at the Univ. of Redlands.

Who had ever heard of East Timor before the topic "Resolved: That the United States should significantly reduce it's arms sales to other countries." or knew that formaldehyde is "...perhaps the clearest example of a potential human carcinogen that should be regulated, but has not been by the EPA or OSHA under the Reagan administration" when that was the topic???

*OK- Let's dust off the NFL (Nat'l Forensic League) double ruby pins and list all the alternative names for Lincoln-Douglas debate (i.e. Loser Debate, Learning Disability, etc.)

PS-gleff- you were in after my time, but Barb and I guessed you had been in forensics after your Ann Arbor talk yesterday- great job BTW, at least what we could hear of it before you got overrun. I wanted to give some of the more verbose audience members time signals from "5" on down...

Last edited by bobsgt; Jul 20, 2008 at 7:25 pm Reason: because years of substance abuse and the passage of a quarter-century caused me to error in naming the HS that held nationals