FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time upgrades: And how good they were
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:51 pm
Scott6067

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
My first upgrade was acutally before I was elite and really made me want to fly and get elite status. It is actually a good story and CO related...

I was heading out on a work trip to GUM. Routing was LAS-LAX (UA) then CO LAX-HNL-GUM. Becuase of the military excercise in GUM the HNL-GUM flight was over by about 8. Their offer was C from HNL-NGO with a 3 hour layover then F NGO-GUM.

I had never been on a flight in int'l C (or F for that matter) and it was like I was in heaven. Picture a 23 year old kid out of college on his first real job. I did it with one other coworker and I think on the 7h30m flight to NGO I must have drank 21 bombay saffires. I was plastered. I made the mistake about 5 hours into the flight (and about 8 g/t's in) that they didn't seem strong enough. The Purser (or whatever CO calls the lead FA) started pouring doubles for me. I think I posted this thread about it from back then.

The Purser also knew it was my first time in C becuase I told him. I had no idea how to operate the seat or the tray table. I kept appologizing to him for not knowing how anything worked - but he took care of me and told me not to appologize.

It was after that C expereince (in CO BF - my only time flying it). I actually got NWA SE on that total trip (I think it was like 17000 actual miles when I routed GUM-HNL-IAH-LAS on the way back (due to misconnection), but I was on an H/Y/C fare classes so it got me like 27K NWA EQMs). I had no idea what SE meant, but I booked a trip 3 weeks later on NWA to CMH for a OSU football game and it becuase clear that I liked what I saw .
OSU = Oregan, Ohio, or Oklahoma Univerisities?????