FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Purchasing prepaid sim card for mobile phone at Heathrow?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:07 am
mad_rich

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
If you have lead time this is a great option. Free incoming, cheap local, never expires.

http://www.mobell.com/sim/
I wouldn't say those rates are particularly good for local/ mobile calls in the UK. Just as an example (not a recommendation, as I've never used a prepay mobile) you could get 15p/ min to any landline/ mobile here:

www.freshmobile.co.uk

All networks in the UK (and most in Europe, I believe) give you free incoming calls, so don't worry about that. Unlike in the US, the caller pays ( often handsomely) for calling a mobile phone.

If you need to know your new number in advance, and expiry is important, then Mobell might be worth a look. Otherwise there are better deals out there.

To the OP: you don't say whether you're arriving or transferring at T5. I'll assume your arriving. From the map, it looks like the Vodafone shop (#4) is by check-in, so it would be landside. Might be worth giving them ring:

Opening Hours: 07:00 - 22:00
Telephone: +44 (0)7826 952 062